Your Online Studies at LYIT
Welcome to LYIT's online homepage. The online courses at LYIT are delivered in such a way that helps you balance your personal and professional life along with part-time education.
We hope you enjoy this journey and are more than happy to help you at any point along the way.
The purpose of this page is to provide all the information you require to kick-start your online educational journey.
Online Courses - Course Information
For further information for each course, please check out the below links.
Blackboard - Online Learning Platform
Blackboard will be the online learning platform used by our distance learning student to access course material and participate in classes online.
Gettting Started with Blackboard
- Students are provided with user account credentials (username/password) to access Blackboard. You should have received a letter with your registration pack providing you with username and password. The username will be your student number which takes the format like ‘L00001234’ and 9-character alphanumeric password.
- To use the Blackboard platform for your online classes, please ensure you have:
- Access to Internet with Google Chrome or Firefox. Only Google Chrome and Firefox are supported by Blackboard.
- Good quality broadband connection recommended a minimum of 3MB.
- Headset to hear the lecture.
- Microphone to chat or ask questions of your lecturer during a live class.
- Optional, a camera so the lecturer can see you.
- It is strongly recommended that you familiarize yourself with the Blackboard platform before classes commence. Information and orientation videos on accessing and using Blackboard are available on the Computer Services section within the student hub on LYIT’s website. Click here to directly access this information.
- Carry out a pre-test to ensure your version of Google Chrome or Firefox on your laptop or PC is properly configured to use Blackboard Collaborate. Blackboard Collaborate is online virtual classroom delivered by video either real-time or recorded. Click here to initiate a test of your PC/laptop environment. Please ensure you use Google Chrome or Firefox. Please note that you can use the Blackboard App on Apple IOS or Android devices. A pre-test environment is not available for these apps.
Other IT Services
As a registered online student of LYIT, you have access to a range of other IT services to help with your studies, such as Microsoft Office 365, free software, eduroam wi-fi and much more. Click here to access Computer Services section for more infromation on these services or check the out quick links below.
If you require assistance with accessing Blackboard or having issues with any of the IT Services please contact the Computer Services Help desk:
Phone: 00 353 74 91 8 6050