Atlantic Technological University (ATU) recognises the rights and ambitions of students from Traveller and Roma communities.
It is committed to the provision of equal educational opportunities and access to university education for students from these communities.
ATU supports students from these communities in enjoying a positive and welcoming academic, social and personal experience in higher education, actively engaging and participating in all aspects of campus life.
As part of its commitment to the Traveller and Roma communities, ATU provides a range of services to those involved in supporting students from these communities into higher education and to ATU students from the Traveller and Roma communities.
ATU works closely with education providers in the region to support students from Traveller and Roma communities in realising their educational ambitions and aspirations, including participation in higher education.
It offers a number of services to schools and centres involved in the provision of educational programmes to members of the Traveller and Roma communities, including:
- School/Centre visits
- Information at Open Days
- Campus visits and taster sessions
- Summer camps
- Contribution to Transition Programmes (primary to post-primary, post-primary to university)
Traveller Project Groups
A partnership approach between ATU and Traveller Project Groups in the West-North West region provides pathways into higher education for groups and individuals from the Traveller and Roma communities. This includes:
- Campus visits
- Taster sessions, both on-campus and outreached
- Information and support applying to accredited programmes
- Academic, personal and financial information and supports before and during programmes
- Delivery of customised programmes (accredited and unaccredited), both on-campus and outreached
- Non-academic supports and servicess
Students from Traveller and Roma communities have access to a number of supports which aim to foster a positive and welcoming academic, social and personal experience for students from these communities in higher education. Supports encourage active engagement and participation in all aspects of campus life and include:
- Information sessions on completing CAO and other applications
- Information sessions on completing SUSI grants and scholarship applications
- Student Assistance fund (covers travel, childcare and other expenses)
- Laptop Loan Scheme
- One-to-one support throughout studies including learning support, maths support, academic writing, career services and personal support.
Please get in touch if you wish to find out more about ATU and what it has to offer current or prospective students from the Traveller and Roma Communities.
Traveller Education Officer | Oifigeach Oideachais Taistealaithe
Atlantic Technological University
ATU Donegal Letterkenny, Port Road, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, F92 FC93
Ollscoil Teicneolaíochta an Atlantaigh
OTA Dhún na nGall, Campas Leitir Ceanainn, Bóthar an Phoirt, Leitir Ceanainn, Contae Dhún na nGall, F92 FC93