The Governing Body of the Institute is established under Section 6 of the Institutes of Technology Acts 1992 to 2006. Section 8 of the 2006 Act sets out the functions of the Governing Body. The Acts gives the Institute the specific function of providing such courses of study as the Governing Body considers appropriate. It gives the Governing Body the function of approving annual programmes and budgets and determining numbers and terms of conditions of staff subject to the approval of the Higher Education Authority.
The Governing Body consists of a Chairman and seventeen ordinary members and the President of the Institute. The Chairman is appointed by the Minister of Education and Science. The seventeen ordinary members are appointed by the Minister of Education and Science on the recommendation of the Vocational Educational Committee as follows:
- Six persons of whom at least three shall be members of a local authority nominated by the Vocational Educational Committee.
- Two full-time members, one male and one female, of the academic staff of the Institute elected by the academic staff in accordance with regulations made by the Governing Body.
- One non-academic member of staff elected by the non-academic staff in accordance with regulations made by the Governing Body.
- Two registered students elected by the registered students in accordance with regulations made by the Governing Body.
- One Person nominated by the Irish Congress of Trade Unions.
- Five persons nominated by the Vocational Educational Committee from nominations by organisations that the Institute, on the recommendation of the Academic Council, considers require representation having regard to the activities of the Institute.
Governing Body 2016 – 2021
Code of Governance *
Code of Conduct **
* This Code of Governance has been adopted by the Institute and was approved by the Governing Body on 5 April 2018.
** This Code of Conduct has been adopted by the Institute and was approved by the Governing Body on 21 June 2018.