Following a successful round one application process, Atlantic Technological University (ATU) Donegal has re-opened the New Entrant Sports Scholarship 2022/23 application system for round two applications. New applicants have until July 1st to submit a round 2 application, and if you are planning to study at ATU Donegal this September, and you are competing to a high standard in your chosen sport (individual or team sport), be sure to apply before the July deadline. Click HERE to apply online now.
Previous award winners of the ATU Donegal New Entrant Sports Scholarship include Peadar Mogan, Michael Langan, Conor O’Donnell (GAA), Michael Harris, Kieran Farren, Tara O’Connor, Ciara McGarvey (Soccer), Max Leadley and Luke Cassidy (Basketball). Most recently, Danielle McGinley, Julie Trearty and Katie Long received Rising Star Awards for their fantastic season with the ATU Donegal’s Ladies Gaelic Football team – again supported by the ATU Donegal Sports Scholarship programme.
Emma Dolan, a first-year dietetics studies student at ATU Donegal, travelled to Turkey recently as part of the Irish Senior Karate team to compete at the European Karate Senior Championships. Emma recently took home a gold medal for ATU Donegal at the Irish Intervarsity Karate Championships. Aaron Hughes, a second-year student studying Electronic Engineering competed on behalf of the Irish Men’s U22 Volleyball squad in the recent European Volleyball Championships Qualifiers in Rome, Italy. James Kelly (Shot Putt), a fourth-year computing student represented Ireland Athletics team in the European Indoor DNA event this year and finished an incredible 3rd. James also received 2 gold medals for ATU Donegal in Shot Putt at the Irish University Athletic Association Intervarsity indoor and outdoor events. All of these students have been supported under the under ATU Donegal Sports Scholarship programme.
Michael Murphy, Head of Sport at ATU Donegal, is encouraging students who have not yet applied to submit their application ahead of the July deadline, he added, “The New Entrant Sports Scholarship provides an incredible opportunity to incoming students, who are competing at a high level in their chosen sport. ATU Donegal has a strong reputation across all areas of sport, with the institute sporting teams competing at high levels in colleges and university intervarsity sport. We offer a round two application process to provide a ‘second chance’ for prospective students to apply. The application process is very straight forward.”
To be considered eligible for a New Entrant Sports Scholarship 2022/23 applicants must be:
- A new entrant entering on a full-time programme at LYIT for the first time in 2022/23. This includes a person entering:
- the first year of a full-time undergraduate programme, or
- as advanced entry on a subsequent year of an undergraduate programme, or
- a full-time student on a postgraduate programme.
- And the applicant must:
- be/have been a member of a GAA Inter-county team (Minor, U20 or Senior) and a regular starting player in the current year or in the previous 24 months.
- be/have been a member of a League of Ireland Soccer team and a regular starting player in the current year.
- be/have been a member of an Irish International Underage Basketball panel or Academy or National League team and a regular starting player in the current year or in the previous 18 months.
- be/have been a member of a team sport competing at National/International level outside of GAA, Soccer and Basketball and displayed outstanding potential and a regular starting player in the current year or in the previous 18 months.
- have demonstrated an ability to compete as a Junior or Senior International and would normally have competed at European/World Championship level in an individual sport recognised by Student Sport Ireland
Successful applicants will be offered a scholarship of €1,500 or €750. In subsequent years, successful candidates will be considered for further annual scholarships of €1,500 or €750 provided they continue to meet the eligibility criteria and performance criteria.
Additional benefits of being an ATU Donegal New Entrant Scholarship holder include:
- Free Membership of the ATU Donegal Fitness Suite and High-Performance Gym
- Educational Workshops
- Academic and Sports Mentoring
- Strength & Conditioning Programmes
- Compete at Highest Level in Intervarsity/College Sport
- Coaching support
- Career Guidance Support
- ATU Donegal Sports Merchandise
- Physiotherapy and Injury Rehabilitation
If you are excelling in your chosen sport and if you are planning to study at ATU Donegal, be sure to apply for a New Entrant Sports Scholarship 2022. To apply for a New Entrant Sports Scholarship 2022 click HERE.