Those who are over 23 by 1 January in the proposed year of entry are classified as Mature Applicants. Some mature candidates may be exempt from the standard minimum academic that apply to school-leavers.
A limited quota of places is reserved specifically for mature students on all programmes. A number of Mature candidates are selected for these quotas by random selection, regardless of whether or not they hold any qualifying exam results.
Mature candidates who are not fortunate enough to get offers via the random selection process can also compete, separately, for non-quota places based on their academic qualifications.
List of Courses
- To view a full list of all full-time undergraduate degree courses (Level 8) click here.
- To view a full list of all full-time undergraduate degree courses (Level 6 & 7) click here.
Mature applicants for first year should apply via the CAO system, preferably before 1 February. Applying before 1 February is important where selection is based on an assessment test, e.g. for those hoping to be selected for nursing on the basis of the PAS test. If you are in a position to rely on academic results such as Leaving Cert, A-levels etc., or to take your chances in the random selection process as a basis for selection, then you can apply up until 1 May, but this costs more. The CAO handbook suggests that applicants applying after 1 February should contact the college before submitting an application. This is not necessary in the case of LYIT. We recommend that you apply via the internet, www.cao.ie. It is cheaper, faster, and less error prone than paper-based applications. If you don't have internet access you can get a paper Application Form from The CAO.
You are encouraged to list your initial course choices by 1 February if possible.
If necessary, you can change your mind up to 1 July at 5.15 pm.
What supporting documentation do I need to supply?
- Evidence of Age (Do not send the original Birth Certs., send copies).
- Educational Certificates including:
- Leaving Certificate - even if it was a long time ago, it may be important.
- Mature applicants who did a Leaving Certificate examination in any year since 1985 should indicate the year and the exam number (if known) in the appropriate place on the CAO application form.
- If you did the Leaving Cert. before 1985, please send a copy of the Cert.
- QQI/FE/FETAC provide appropriate information on the CAO application form and back this us by submitting copies of any available Certificates.
- Other Educational Certificates or transcripts. For instance, if you were previously in college but did not finish the course, you may have results for the years you completed.
- If you are studying at the moment and awaiting results, please tell us what course you are taking and the date by which you expect to send your results to CAO.
- Evidence of any Work, Training Courses, etc., that is relevant to the programme(s) for which you are applying.
Mature applicants for nursing courses are not included in the random selection process and will therefore have to either rely on qualifying academic results such a Leaving Certificate A-levels etc or undergo an aptitude test organized by the Nursing Board in conjunction with PAS (the Public Appointments Service). This normally takes place in April/May. For more information on this please view the Nursing Careers Website.
Programmes will have to undergo an aptitude test organized by the Nursing Board in conjunction with PAS (the Public Appointments Service). This normally takes place in April/May. For more information on this please view the Nursing Careers Website.
All other programmes will have a limited quota of places reserved for applicants who are admitted on the basis of maturity only. Selection for this quota is based on courses choices listed by 1 May and will be by random selection. Offers arising fromthe random selection process issue on Round A and Round Zero. All mature applicants will have an equal chance in the random selection on these rounds, regardless of any exam results or the lack thereof.
Any course choices added after 1 May, e.g. via the Change of Mind process, are not included in the random selection process. For Nursing and for any course added after 1 May, you will be assessed on the basis of exam results only.
Mature applicants who have qualifying exam results will, in addition, also be eligible to enter a separate competition on Round 1 and subsequent rounds. Selection on Rounds 1 and later will be competitive and will be based on points arising from qualifying school-leaving exam results.