Home  ›  Study at LYIT  ›  Find a course  ›  Springboard Courses

Springboard Courses

Springboard+ 2018

SpringboardLYIT Springboard courses will be announced by early June 2018

Now in its eighth year, Springboard+ has to date provided 47,000 free higher education places, primarily to jobseekers in need of upskilling or reskilling to allow them to re-enter the labour market.

From last year, the eligibility criteria for Springboard+ was expanded to include homemakers and those in employment who wished to upskill or reskill to meet specific emerging skills needs in the ICT and Biopharma/Med Tech sectors.

This year, for the first time, Springboard+ courses will be extended so that all courses will now be open to people irrespective of their employment status.

  • Level 6 courses will remain free to all participants.
  • Returners and those in receipt of certain allowances, including Jobseekers Benefit, will continue to be able to access courses free of charge.
  • For employed participants on courses NFQ level 7 – 9, 90% of the course fee will be funded by the Government, with participants required to contribute just 10% of the fee.

This change reflects the Government’s emphasis on the importance of life-long learning and upskilling/reskilling throughout one’s career.

Eligible applicants for Springboard+ 2018 

  1.  Those in receipt of an eligible payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection who already hold a National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) award at level 5 or 6 or equivalent, with a previous history of employment with a previous history of employment who already hold a higher level qualification at NFQ levels 6 to 9, who may require additional upskilling or reskilling in order to re-enter employment.
  2.  Previously self-employed people at all qualifications level who may require new qualifications to return to self-employment or to enter employment.
  3.  Returners who already hold an NFQ award at level 5 or 6 or equivalent, with a previous history of employment with a previous history of employment who already hold a higher level qualification at NFQ levels 6 to 9, who may require additional upskilling or reskilling in order to re-enter employment.
  4.  Those in employment wishing to upskill or reskill to meet required skill needs across a range of sectors

Places will be provided free of charge to those participants from categories 1-3 above. In the case of category 4, level 6 courses remain free and a contribution of 10% of the cost of the place will be collected by the provider for level 7-9 courses. This contribution can be paid by the participant or the employer. The HEA will fund the remaining 90% of the cost directly to the providers.

Please see more details regarding eligibility at www.springboardcourses.ie/eligibility

List of Courses

A full list of Springboard courses are listed in the table below. Click on the relevant course title for further information.

School of Business
Programme Title  Commencement Date
PG Diploma in Governance, Compliance and Data Protection in Financial Services 17th September 2018
Higher Diploma in Finance and Technology 17th September 2018
Certificate in Mainframe Technologies 17th September 2018
School of Computing
Higher Diploma in Computing (conversion) 17th September 2018
Higher Diploma in Computing (conversion part/time) 17th September 2018
Postgraduate Diploma in Computing in Cloud Technology 17th September 2018
Postgrad. Diploma in Computing in Cybersecurity 17th September 2018
BSc in Computing in Data Centre Management 17th September 2018
School of Tourism
Certificate in Culinary Skills - September 2018 17th September 2018
Certificate in Culinary Skills - January 2019 21st January 2019
Certificate in Food and Beverage Operations - Consortium Proposal 17th September 2018
Diploma in Restaurant Operations Management - Consortium 17th September 2018
BA (Hons) Hotel Management 17th September 2018

Further Information

For further information or any Springboard queries please contact:

Kathleen Mulvin-Brady
Springboard Co-ordinator
E: springboard@lyit.ie 
T: +353 (0)74 918 6177

EU/IE