The Student Assistance Fund is a limited fund that provides financial support to students experiencing short or long-term financial difficulties while attending higher education. The Student Assistance Fund in LYIT is overseen by the SAF committee comprising the Access Officer, the Chaplain, the SU Welfare Officer and the SAF Administrator.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, you must be currently registered on a full-time or part-time higher education award of one year’s duration or more that leads to an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification. Applications are means tested. The following students are not eligible
- Incoming ERASMUS students
- Students with a previous higher education qualification at the same NFQ level or who are undertaking a second programme at the same level. However, in extreme circumstances such students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- International/non-EU fee paying students
When will the SAF open for the academic year 2021/22?
The Student Assistance Fund will open on 27 September 2021 for an initial 6-week period. Depending on available funds a further round of applications will be accepted from 1 February 2022.
What costs are eligible under the fund guidelines?
- books and other class materials
- rent, heating, lighting bills and other utility bills e.g. data plans
- essential travel
- childcare costs
- medical costs
- family difficulties e.g. bereavement
What costs are ineligible under the Fund?
Funding is not generally available to assist students with the costs of tuition fees, registration fees, student loans or any costs that are borne by the Higher Education Institute.
How do I apply?
If you think that you may qualify for the Student Assistance Fund, please click here to apply.
What happens after you apply?
When you save or submit your application, you will receive a confirmation email to your LYIT email account. You must respond to this email with the required supporting documentation.
Your application will be reviewed by LYIT Student Assistance Fund staff to validate your eligibility.
If deemed eligible for funding, based on criteria decided upon by the SAF Committee, the money will be deposited in the bank account you specify and you will receive an email confirming this from the SAF Administrator.
Applicants who are ineligible will also receive an advisory email.
What supporting documentation do I need?
The Student Assistance Fund in LYIT is assessed on Household Income. This refers to:
- Parental/Guardian Income in relation to students who are under 23 years of age on 1st January of year of entry to LYIT, OR.
- Household income for all members of the household including the student where the student is Mature (23 years of age or over on 1st January of year of entry to LYIT)
The only types of Proof of Income for 2021 which are accepted are:
- SUSI Reckonable Income issued in 2021
- Statement of Liability (formerly P21) for 2020
- Notice of Assessment for 2020 if self-employed/farmer
- Statement from Social Welfare (including FIS) indicating ALL entitlements for 2020
In addition, you are required to submit a bank statement showing proof of IBAN. Where applicable, students may also be required to provide additional documentation such as proof of registration of family member in 3rd Level Education
We protect your data
Under GDPR your personal data collected as part of the application process may be processed for the purposes of coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the operation of the Fund and to comply with European Union requirements.
This personal data may include personally sensitive data where you choose to share that data and your data may be shared with third parties for monitoring and reporting on co-financed activities.
For further information contact Brian McGonagle, Access Officer by e-mail or call +353 (0)74 918 6170 or Mairead O’Kane, SAF Administrator by email or call 074 9186662