Our Sports Scholarships are merit-based and directly linked to your sporting performance.
There are two types of Sports Scholarships available at the institute:
- New Entrant Sports Scholarships available to new entrant students to the institute
- Full-Time Sports Scholarships available to existing and registered full-time students of the institute.
New Entrant Sports Scholarships
These scholarships are targeting students who are competing at a high level in one of the following field sports: Gaelic Football (men/ladies), Hurling, Soccer (men/ladies) and Basketball (men/ladies) as follows:
- GAA Inter-county team (Minor, U20 or Senior) - the applicant must be/have been a member and a regular starting player in the current year or in the previous 12 months.
- League of Ireland Soccer team - the applicant must be a member and a regular starting player in the current year.
- Irish International Underage Basketball - the applicant must be/have been a member and a regular starting player in the current year or in the previous 12 months.
Successful candidates will be considered on sporting merit and at present the value of a New Entrant Scholarship is €1,000, paid in instalments. In 2019/20, 16 New Entrant Sports Scholarships were awarded to students.
Tenure of the ‘New Entrants Sports Scholarship’
The scholarship is only available in the year in which it is offered. It may not be deferred.
Selection of candidates for the New Entrants Sports Scholarship will be made following the submission of forms by all eligible students. Signed completed application forms with supporting documentation must be posted and received by:
Letterkenny Institute of Technology
For an application form, click here.
For a full list of terms and conditions, click here.
Full-Time Sports Scholarship
Any existing and registered full-time students who have demonstrated the ability to progress their sporting endeavours for the institute are entitled to apply for the full-time sports scholarship. At present the value of the Full-Time Sports Scholarship is €1,500, €1,000 or €500, depending on the type of scholarship awarded (Full or Development). In 2019/20, the Institute awarded 55 Full-Time Sports Scholarships. The award of such scholarship takes place each academic year, during the second semester. Application forms are available internally in January from the SU Administrator. Successful candidates will be paid in two instalments for the academic year.
Additional benefits of being a sports scholarship holder include:
- Free membership to gym
- Free GP and Chartered Physiotherapy (upon referral)
- Training/sports gear supplied by the institute
- Coaching support
- Assistance from Maths and Communication Learning Support Services, if required.
For further information on Sports Scholarships at Letterkenny Institute of Technology, contact:
Paddy Gallagher, Sports Officer
Tel: +353 74 918 6810