Sports Facilities at LYIT
Sports and recreational facilities are located on campus in the multi-purpose centre (An Dánlann). Facilities, available for external hire are as follows. Members of the general public are most welcome to avail of these facilities:
- An ultra-modern large sports hall/ events facility measuring 28m x 32m, with cushioned bleacher seating for 344.
- Extra seating also available for up to 1100 people.
- A viewing gallery overlooks the hall.
- A superbly equipped new air conditioned fitness suite which has 7 treadmills, 6 bikes, 5 cross-trainers, 3 rowing machines and a range of machine & free-weights.
- Clean and spacious changing rooms
- Classes (for everyone - students, staff and general public)
- General Information for Students
- Brochure and Prices (for the general public)
- Kool Kats Summer Camp 5-12 every July
How to book (hall, gym, all facilities)
- External Users Booking Form
- Conditions of Hire
- Facility Hire Prices
- Membership & Entry Fees
- Contact Us:
- Follow Us:
- on Facebook
- Term Time
- Monday 8.00 - 21.30
- Tuesday 8.00 - 21.30
- Wednesday 8.00 - 21.30
- Thursday 8.00 - 21.30
- Friday 8.00 - 20.00
- Saturday 10.00 - 14.00 (term time only)
Please note that closing times in June, July and August are earlier(6PM).
The hall may be unavailable due to Institute needs at certain periods throughtout the academic year - please enquire.
There are two types of Sports Scholarships available at the institute:
- 1. New Entrant Sports Scholarships available to new entrant students to the institute
- 2. Full-Time Sports Scholarships available to existing and registered full-time students of the institute.
16 Full-Time Sports Scholarships were awarded to students of the institute in the 2014-15 academic year and 3 New Entrant Sports Scholarships were awarded at the start of Academic Year 2015/2016. The institute continues to recognise and reward each student who has demonstrated the ability to progress their sporting endeavours along with successfully progressing with academic studies at the same time.
- New Entrant Scholarship:
Provided you are accepted onto a full –time course of study in Letterkenny IT, either as undergraduate or post graduate and are currently a member of a GAA County football or hurling panel or a member of a League of Ireland soccer panel, you are eligible to apply for a New Entrant Sports Scholarship. Successful candidates will be considered on sporting merit and will be awarded funds in the region of €1,000 to €1,400 for the academic year, paid in instalments.
- Full Sports Scholarship:
The scholarship applies to full- time students of Letterkenny IT already participating in a course of study at the institute. The award of such scholarship takes place each academic year, at the end of the 1st Semester, (January 2016). Application forms are available internally from the Sports Officer, who will decide on the suitability of the candidate, having regard to the applicant’s dedication to training and games in the institute and also the applicant’s academic progress. Successful candidates will be paid €1,400 in 2 instalments for the academic year.
Additional benefits of being a sports scholarship holder include:
- Free membership to gym
- Free GP and chartered physiotherapy (upon referral)
- Training/Sports Gear supplied by the institute
- Coaching Support
- Assistance from Maths and Communication Learning Support Services, if required.
Tenure of the scholarship.
The scholarship is only available in the year in which it is offered. It may not be deferred. For a full list of terms and conditions, click Pre-Entry Sports Scholarships Terms and Conditions.
Selection of candidates for each category of Sports Scholarship will be made following the submission of forms by all eligible students. Signed completed application forms with supporting documentation must be posted and received by Paddy Gallagher, Sports Officer, Letterkenny Institute of Technology, Port Road, Letterkenny. For an application form, click Pre-Entry Sports Scholarship Application Form.
Payment of Sports Scholarships are made to the successful candidates in instalments in the course of the academic year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I have to be a student on the BSc Sports Performance Course, School of Business Studies, before I can apply for a New Entrant Scholarship?
A: No, you can apply for the New Entrant Scholarship as long as you have applied for a full time course of study in LYIT, in any School or Department.
Q: Is it too late to apply for the New Entrant Sports Scholarship in September, just before registration?
A: Yes, unfortunately it would be too late by then to apply as applications must be received by the closing date in June.
Q: Is there a need for me to be a member of a GAA County squad or League of Ireland panel, to be considered for the New Entrant Scholarship?
A: The institute requires this as it establishes the standard that you have achieved in your chosen sport. A letter of confirmation that you are a member of the required GAA or League of Ireland must be signed and attached to your completed application form.
For further information on Sport and Sports Scholarships at Letterkenny Institute of Technology, contact:
Paddy Gallagher, Students Services
Tel: +353 (74) 91 86810
The sports facilities and recreation programme (events & classes) are managed by the Centre Manager and centre staff team. The sports clubs & scholarship programmes are managed by the Sports Officer. A number of sports clubs exist within the Institute including -
- Hill walking
- Gaelic Football (male & female)
- Soccer (male & female)
Individual participation in a number of other sports has also been encouraged and supported.
Members of the general public are most welcome and can access all facilities in An Dánlann.
- Individual customised exercise programmes and tailored advice are available from qualified staff.
- A varied recreation programme – open to students and the public which includes (2016):
- 50/50 Step/Aerobics
- Body Conditioning
- Spin Fit
- Personal Training
- Slimming Club
- Jogging Club
- Children’s Activities & Birthday Parties
- Children’s Summer Camp
For more information please contact:
Sport Center Manager
Letterkenny Institute of Technology
(t) +35374 9186868
Administration and Reception +35374 9186800.
For Sports Scholarships Information:
Paddy Gallagher, Students Services
Contact: 91 86810