Sports at LYIT
Sports and recreational facilities are located on campus in the multi-purpose centre (An Dánlann). Facilities include -
- An ultra-modern large sports hall/ events facility measuring 28m x 32m, with cushioned bleacher seating for 344.
- Extra seating also available for up to 1100 people.
- A viewing gallery overlooks the hall.
- A superbly equipped new air conditioned fitness suite which has 7 treadmills, 6 bikes, 5 cross-trainers, 3 rowing machines and a range of machine & free-weights.
- Clean and spacious changing rooms
- Sports Centre Information
- Brochure / Prices
- Facebook - LYIT Sports Centre
- Kool Kats Summer Camp 5-12 every July
- Teenagers 'Tigers' Summer Camp every July
The Institute is an affiliated member of CUSAI (Council of University Sports Administrators in Ireland) and has participated in World Student Games in Beijing (2001), Daegu (2003) and Istanbul (2005). Both students and staff members have been selected as part of these delegations and been involved in the preparation and selection of teams.
Letterkenny Institute of technology presented 13 Sports Scholarships in March 2013. The awards were made to full time students of the institute who were considered to be of a suitable standard in their chosen sport and most importantly, gave full commitment to the institute’s sporting programme.
Sports Scholarships are awarded in Semester 2 of each academic year. The scheme applies to all full time registered students only. Scholarships are advertised in January /February of each yea, internally, applicants are required to complete an application form and include all relevant information such as their chosen sporting discipline, their current level of achievement, their past representative honours, at regional, national and international level.
Applications cannot be made earlier than the beginning of semester 2 as the awarding panel will consider each applicant’s dedication to the institute sporting programme and club participation for the institute. The scholarship holder, when selected, will be paid the total scholarship in two instalments, the first is paid at the time of award and the second (equal) instalment is paid upon confirmation of the successful completion of the candidate’s end of year examinations. In the event of deferred examinations or repeat examinations, the second instalment will be held until successful completion has been confirmed.
The sports facilities and recreation programme (events & classes) are managed by the Centre Manager and centre staff team. The sports clubs & scholarship programmes are managed by the Sports Officer. A number of sports clubs exist within the Institute including -
- Hill walking
- Gaelic Football (male & female)
- Soccer (male & female)
Individual participation in a number of other sports has also been encouraged and supported.
Members of the general public are most welcome and can access all facilities in An Dánlann.
- Individual customised exercise programmes and tailored advice are available from qualified staff.
- A varied recreation programme – open to students and the public which includes (2009/10):
- 50/50 Step/Aerobics
- Body Conditioning
- Spin Fit
- Personal Training
- Slimming Club
- Jogging Club
- Children’s Activities & Birthday Parties
- Children’s Summer Camp
- Term Time
- Monday 8.00 - 21.30
- Tuesday 8.00 - 21.30
- Wednesday 8.00 - 21.30
- Thursday 8.00 - 21.30
- Friday 8.00 - 20.00
- Saturday 10.00 - 14.00 (term time only)
Please note that closing times in June, July and August are earlier.
The hall may be unavailable due to Institute needs at certain periods throughtout the academic year - please enquire.
For more information please contact:
Sport Center Manager
Letterkenny Institute of Technology
(t) +35374 9186868
Administration and Reception +35374 9186818.
For Sports Scholarships Information:
Paddy Gallagher, Students Services
Contact: 91 86810