» Bachelor of Business (Common Entry)
with named award options: Accounting, Management, Marketing
- Is this the course for you?
- This programme has been designed to provide students, who know they want to study some aspect of business at third level but are unsure as to which specific area, with the opportunity to take modules in Accounting, Management and Marketing, as well as core business modules, before having to choose which area to specialise in for their Level 7 Degree.
- The first two years of the programme are common with students getting equal exposure to Accounting, Management and Marketing to enable them make an informed choice as regards their preferred specialism in Year 3.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Minimum Points Score 160
- Min. Five O6/H7
- English or Irish O6/H7
- Maths F2/O6/H7
- Have obtained any FETAC Level 5 award
- For entry purposes RPL will be considered in accordance with the quality assurance procedures of LYIT.
- Any applicant applying based on non EU awards/qualifications must apply directly to the International Office at LYIT. In order to be considered for entry international applicants must present:
- A qualification that is recognised as being equivalent to a Level 5 Irish qualification.
- An IELTS qualification of 5.5 minimum.
- What will I study?
NOTE: Choose one 5 credit elective
Common Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits 1/1 Learning to Learn & ICT Mandatory 5 Business Management Mandatory 10 Business Law Mandatory 5 Fundamentals of Marketing Mandatory 5 Introduction to Sociology Elective 5 Language and Culture 1 (French/German/Irish/Spanish) Elective 5 Beginners Spanish 1 Elective 5 Introduction to the Teaching of English Elective 5 Personal Finance Elective 5 1/2 Writing Skills Mandatory 5 Economics 1 Mandatory 5 Basic Business Statistics 1 Mandatory 5 Introduction to Accounting Mandatory 10 Critical Thinking Skills Elective 5 Language and Culture 2 (French/German/Irish/Spanish) Elective 5 Beginners Spanish 2 Elective 5 Civic & Community Engagement Elective 5 2/3 Financial & Cost Accounting Mandatory 10 Business Information Systems Mandatory 10 Basic Business Statistics 2 Mandatory 5 Marketing Principles Mandatory 5 2/4 Economics 2 Mandatory 5 Business Communications Mandatory 5 Digital Marketing 1 Mandatory 10 Entrepreneurship & Innovation Mandatory 5 Introduction to Business Process Management Mandatory 5
Bachelor or Business in Accounting Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits 3/5 Financial Reporting 1 Mandatory 10 Management Accounting & Finance Mandatory 10 Computerised Accounts Mandatory 5 Law for the Business Environment Mandatory 5 3/6 Management Accounting 2 Mandatory 10 Company Law & Governance Mandatory 10 Business Tax Mandatory 10
Bachelor or Business in Management Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits 3/5 Service & Operations Management Mandatory 10 Legal Issues – Irish & European Mandatory 5 Financial Management Mandatory 5 Organisational Behaviour Mandatory 5 Microeconomics for Business Decisions Mandatory 5 Financial Management Mandatory 5 3/6 HRM & Employee Relations Mandatory 10 Project Management Mandatory 5 Personal & Professional Development Mandatory 5 Applied Learning – Work based Learning Elective 10 Applied Learning – Enterprise Development Project Elective 10
Bachelor or Business in Marketing Year/Semester Proposed Modules Mandatory/
No of credits 3/5 Marketing Management Mandatory 10 Consumer Psychology Mandatory 10 Organisational Behaviour Mandatory 5 Financial Management Mandatory 5 3/6 Digital Marketing 2 Mandatory 10 Designing Marketing Research Mandatory 5 Personal & Professional Development Mandatory 5 Applied Learning – Work based Learning Elective 10 Applied Learning – Enterprise Development Project Elective 10
- Follow-on Courses
- BBus in Management can progress to BBus (Hons) in Management [Level 8 add-on, 60 ECTS]
- BBus in Marketing can progress to BBus (Hons) in Marketing [Level 8 add-on, 60 ECTS]
- BBus in Accounting can progress to BBus (Hons) in Accounting [Level 8 add-on, 60 ECTS].
- Career Opportunities
- Graduates from this programme will be equipped with a skill set that is hugely in demand both regionally, nationally and internationally. Depending on their choice of specialism graduates may find employment across a range of sectors including public sector, finance, IT and retail in the following roles:
BBus in Management BBus in Marketing BBus in Accounting
- Trainee / Assistant Manager
- Operations Administrator
- Human Resource Assistant
- Buyer & Procurement Officer
- Business Development Roles
- Finance and Insurance Roles
- Marketing Executive (marketing department / marketing agency /consultancy)
- Advertising / Public Relations Executive
- Market Researcher
- Sales & Marketing Executive
- Marketing Assistant
- Digital Marketing Executive
- Office Manager
- Accounts Administrator
- Finance Roles
- Most graduates will progress onto the BBUS Hons Accounting programme with a view to completing Professional Accounting exams (ICA, ACCA, CIMA or ICA).
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: