» BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (HONS) IN COMPUTING WITH DEGREE AWARD OPTIONS:
APPLIED COMPUTING OR
CLOUD AND GREEN IT
Programme Title Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computing with Degree Award Options in Applied Computing or Cloud and Green IT CAO Code LY708 LYIT internal code Duration 4 Years ab initio Standard Code Places: 24 National Framework Level 8 Award Type Major Awarding Body LYIT, under Delegated Authority from HETAC
"From the high standard of computing graduates employed from LYIT since 2004 we have been able to successfully grow our development team and increase our capabilities into the future. We see our links with LYIT, playing a major part in our success in the years to come." Eamon Foy, SITA, Letterkenny.
SITA have recently announced plans to significantly expand their current operations in Letterkenny.
- Is this Programme for Me?
- This level 8 programme is designed to give the graduate experience with a wide range of fundamental computing skills from computer programming where you will learn to give the computer instructions to tell it what you want it to do to computer architecture where you will learn how to install and maintain computers. In addition it will develop the students knowledge in later years to give them a strong set of management skills required to work in and manage modern I.T. organisations. All students will complete a major project which may be industry related. For Testimonials from a number of former students of the course follow this link.
- Note that this course is approved by the Teaching Council on its list of Degree/Teacher Education Programmes Recognised for Post-Primary Registration Purposes. Go to TC Publications and click on List of Recognized Qualifications (Post-Primary).
- For some general information about why you might consider a career in computing: Careers Evenings and Computers.
- If you would like more information about computer programming (OO Programming) click on What is Computer Programming?
- Q. Do I need to know anything about computers before starting this course?
A. No. We recognise that different students are entering third level education with very different levels of familiarity with computing. Thus, in first year, we will introduce you to all the basics of using computer and we will assume minimal prior knowledge.
Q. What happens if I pick the wrong computing course?
A. First year on all of the computing degree courses is very similar so at the end of first year you have the option of changing into second year of a different computing degree if you feel you have made the wrong course choice (subject to certain conditions) so the only real question you have to ask is whether you want to do computing, don’t worry too much about picking the wrong course.
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirements
- Applicants must pass 6 subjects in the Leaving Cert, achieving at least 2 honours i.e. Grade C3 in two Higher-Level papers. The six subjects must include Mathematics, and either English or Irish. Alternative mathematics is not acceptable as a basis for entry. It is anticipated that 48 places will be available on this programme.
- FEATC applicants click FETAC
- Applicants presenting non-Irish exams as a basis for entry, please check the IOTCEF listing to search for the entry relevant to your country
- Applicants who are interested in taking selected modules only from this programme and/or those interested in studying this programme in a part-time mode, click Part-time Study
- For more detailed information on:
- This course begins in September each year. How to Apply
- If you would like to learn more about computing attend our Summer Computing Camp.
- To see what’s going on in the Department of Computing check out our Facebook Page
- FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
- Contact Thomas Dowling, Head of Department of Computing, Letterkenny Institute of Technology by
- E- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (074) 918 6304
- Non-European Applicants
- Applications from non-EU applicants are very welcome. Please contact Jill Murphy at email@example.com for details about application forms, fees, visas etc.