QQI FETA (Formerly FETAC)
- The general minimum entry requirement for those presenting QQI/FETA
|Level & Award at LYIT||FETAC/NCVA Level 2 Entry Requirement|
|Level 6 Higher Certificate||full QQI/FETA level 5.|
|Level 7ab-initio BachelorDegree||full QQI/FETA level 5.|
|Level 8ab-initio Honours Degree (with the exception of nursing programmes)||full QQI/FETA level 5 in a course in a cognate area and including a distinctions in at least three modules.|
|Level 8 Nursing Programmes||QQI/FETA level 5 in DCHSN (nursing studies) or DCHSX (community and health services).Applicants must obtain a distinction in 5 modules, including distinctions in D20001 (anatomy and physiology), and D20012 (introduction to nursing), and D20032 (human growth and development or C20006 (biology).|
- Note that a full QQI/FETA at level 5 normally consists of 120 credits. A Component Certificate or Record of Achievement is awarded to candidates who successfully complete one or more QQI/FETA level 5 modules. These Component Certificates do not meet the entry requirements. Applicants must have the full level 5 award/120 credits to be eligible for consideration. In some instances QQI/FETA level 5 modules are accumulated over more than one academic year. In such cases, it is the responsibility of the applicant to apply to QQI for a full award.
- Notwithstanding the general minimum entry requirements listed above, some LYIT programmes courses have additional requirements for specific QQI/FETA level 5 modules or courses. These requirements are listed in the file: FETAC Table Entry.
- Points Based on QQI/FETA level 5 Results
- Points are calculated based on the best 8 modules presented. The vast majority of awards presented have a credit value of 1 and are taken at level 2. Such Modules are scored as follows:
Pass: Merit: Distinction: 20 points 35 points 50 points
- For modules with alternative values and/or at other levels, scores are adjusted pro rata as follows:
Module Credit Value Distinction Merit Pass Level1 Level2 Level3 Level1 Level2 Level3 Level1 Level 2 Level3 0.5 12.5 25 31.3 8.8 17.5 21.9 5 10 12.5 1.0 25 50 62.5 17.5 35 43.8 10 20 25 1.5 37.5 75 93.8 26.3 52.5 65.6 15 30 37.5 2.0 50 100 125 35 70 87.5 20 40 50
- Offers Based on QQI/FETA level 5 Results
- For several programmes in the School of Science, a very limited number of places are available for QQI/FETA level 5 applicants (See table)
Code Course Title Level QQI/FETA Quota LY908 General Nursing 8 2 places LY918 Psychiatric Nursing 8 1 place LY928 Intellectual Disability Nursing 8 1 place LY906 Early Childhood Care, Health and Education 6 2 places LY968 Early Childhood Care, Health and Education 8 2 places LY916 Health & Social Care 6 2 places LY917 Health 7 Social Care 7 1 place LY806 Pharmacy Technician 6 1 place LY816 Dental Nursing 6 1 place LY877 Agriculture 7 1 place LY847 Veterinary Nursing 7 1 place
- QQI/FETA level 5 scores for quota programmes will be based on exams taken at a single sitting and will be considered on round zero only. QQI/FETA level 5 applicants who do not achieve quota places on round zero, can, if they also have Leaving Cert/GCSE results, compete on round 1 for non-quota places.
However please note that only Leaving Cert. results will be considered at round 1.
Points based on QQI/FETA level 5 will not be considered on round 1 for any course where a quota is listed above.
- For all other programmes, where no specific quota of places has been listed, points based on QQI/FETA level 5 results may be accumulated over more than one sitting. For non-quota courses QQI/FETA level 5 Scores are included in the round 1 order of merit list. If a student has also taken a school leaving exam such as Leaving Certificate/GCSEs, etc., then the exam yielding the highest score will be used for ranking. Offers for courses that do not have a specific QQI/FETA level 5 quota will be made in round 1 and subsequent rounds.
- Calculating your QQI/FE score 2017
- Points will be based on a maximum of 120 contributing credits. The best 120 credits will be considered for scoring purposed. A maximum of 390 points will be achievable.
- First make sure you have the correct QQI/ FE award and modules for the LYIT course that interests you. You can check this here
- Next check that you have at least 120 credits. Ignore any credits above 120.
- For the credits you are including:
- Multiply the credit value by the grade weighting, e.g
- multiply by 3 for Distinctions
- multiply by 2 for Credits
- do not multiply for a pass
- Add these up. This is your raw score. It should not exceed 360, e.g. 120 credits all at distinction is 120 X 3 = 360
- Multiply this raw score by 13 then divide the result by 12.
The maximum CAO points for a QQI/FE award from 2017 will be 390 points.
For LYIT courses that have a limited vocational quota, points based on vocational awards such as QQI/FE will apply on round zero only.
For all other LYIT course points based on vocational awards such as QQI/FE, can be used on rounds 1 and later rounds
- QQI/FETA Level 6
- Applicants presenting QQI/FETA Level 6 Awards may be eligible for some exemptions or perhaps even for advanced entry into year 2 of a cognate area, provided there is sufficient overlap in the learning outcomes that they achieved via the QQI/FETA Level 6 and those achieved by our own first years. This is a judgement call for the relevant Head of Department and/or RPL officer at LYIT. Each such application has to be considered separately and on its merits.
- In order to establish what, if any, exemptions may be available, an applicant intending to present a QQI/FETA level 6 should apply directly to LYIT. The application would be forwarded to the Head of Dept. for decision. Just in case they aren’t deemed eligible for any exemptions or advanced entry, applicants with QQI/FETA at level 6 may also want to apply, via CAO, for first year - as a fallback or failsafe position.
- Was this information useful? Click here to provide feedback.